Thursday 16 March 2017

Captains Log 20th July 2017

My Dear Fellow Writers,

An interesting day yesterday. Apologies from Sonia, Kevin, Lena and KT.
Tracey, Julee, Judy, Janeen, Terry and I discussed our three critiques:

Julee’s Chapter thirty-four, Janeen’s Chapter One, and my Chapter seven.

As always, lively comments and much good advice was passed on to the writers to use or disregard as they see fit.
I would like to thank everyone for the effort put into each critique, not an easy task as we all know.
On a personal note, I’d like to give an extra big ‘Thank You,’ for the good advice and kind words I was given about Lennie’s demise. His funeral is… Well, perhaps we won’t dwell on that.

We went a little overtime and were forcibly evicted by a group of ladies storming the room with cutlass and boarding pikes (well they knocked politely and were very nice. But doesn’t it sound better the other way?).

I’ve e-mailed my latest offering for your dissection. So, sharpen ya swords, load and cock ya muskets and prepare for battle. ‘Har, har, Me Hearties. We’ll pluck a crow.’


Regards Les




G’day Wordies,

Almost a full house today, with Tracey, Sonia, Julee, Janeen, Lena, Terry and me in attendance. Apologies from JT, Judy and Kevin.
We had three critiques today:
Sonia’s long-awaited critique of her Haiku piece went down well, with Tracey standing on the table and demanding, in fluent Japanese, that we include Haiku in a fun day. You little pocket rocket Tracey.

This proved a big hit
Was enjoyed by all today
Much more is required

Arigatō, Sonia. Well done.

Next was Julee’s chapter 33.
This splendid chapter caused much debate, with Robin being told to ‘Get your act together, or get out of the book.’ And Julee saying, ‘No. I need him. He’ll do better next chapter. I promise.’ I think her fingers were crossed behind her back, but I’m not sure.
Great chapter Julee, keep them rolling in.

Last in line was Lena’s Prologue.
A worthy piece of writing, dragged from another dimension to titillate our senses. This also caused much debate with sensible advice freely given from everyone.
Wow Lena, you certainly have everyone’s attention. Let’s see some more soon.

As to next week:

Julee’s next chapter is attached. Hot off the press.
Janeen will be submitting her revamped first chapter. I’ll send it on as soon as it hits my inbox.
And, once I get a few minutes, I’ll submit my next chapter.
That will give us three, which should keep us all busy.

As you all know, several of us went into contact mode with Mathew last week.
I would like to report that Tracey is up and running again, so we should be seeing some chapters rolling in there, ‘Yay, Tracey’.
And I am well on my way to completing my deadline of the first of December.

Look forward to seeing (nearly) everyone next Wednesday.

Regards Les








Almost a full house yesterday, with only Julee absent from place of parade.

We had one critique on the table. Danny’s first effort. A 5,000-word crime/comedy short story.
He received a lot of help and support and I do believe it was also a good exercise in critiquing for everyone. Well done Danny, we all look forward to seeing the rewrite in due course. I’d like to thank the Wordsmiths for once again, taking time out to read, critique and help to improve someone’s work.

After the critique, we did a fifteen-minute writing exercise, which, as per usual, produced some very interesting stories. In fact, I think that several of them could be expanded into competition pieces.

In the general discussion that followed, Sonia mentioned that she would like to do some more exercises, as well as fun days. I won’t try to hide the fact that I disagreed. I feel we are getting away from our core principal of critiquing. However, as I was the only dissenter, that is what we will do. I’ll work a new calendar out in the next day or so and email it out. Then Judy said we should do poetry. I shuddered, pouted and cried, but she was most insistent. So, be it on your own head (drum roll), I’m going to throw in a poetry exercise.

Next week (22nd) is a fun week, with both Tracey and Janeen bringing in an interesting exercise each for us.

See you all (except the ones I won’t) next week.

So, until then, Pax tibi Wordsmiths

Les


No comments:

Post a Comment